THE REPUTABLE MAN
“Thanks doctor for the care. So what did my results show on the test?” I asked my doctor of about 20 years now. I haven’t been here for a while and he had to send for me. His nurse (whom I refer to as my guardian angel) called.
“Yeah, Mr. Sardis, the result says you are dead.” He said with a matter of fact finality…I couldn’t hold myself from bursting into laught youer.
“You said what?” As much as I thought it was a joke, I didn’t like the fact that neither him nor my angel was laughing.
“Is this some form of costly joke? I’m sitting right in front of you sir!” I exclaimed.
“I know, yet the result in front of me says you died a while ago.” This wasn’t funny anymore.
“How is that possible? My presence here says otherwise. My reputation in church says otherwise. My reputation at work says otherwise. In fact my reputation in the society…”
“Let me stop you there, Mr. Reputable.” My doctor came in. “That is why you’ve felt alive for so long, …you have a reputation that you are alive, but you are dead.”(Rev. 3:1)
He continued, “The mere fact that a man is moving around and seeing people, even believers who believe in him and his good deeds is not enough for evidence of life. He must be alive towards God or else he is a walking corpse. As good as it is to have a healthy societal reputation, it is of more importance to have a living name with God.
I was utterly broken, “So what’s the way forward? Is there even one?” I asked.
“Of course Mr. Sardis, let’s just apply the remedy in Revelation 3: 1-6 to your case and you’ll be back in shape and bouncing.” For the first time since the result of my tests came out, my doctor and my guardian angel smiled optimistically.
1. Be Watchful: you have to be sober and continuously vigilant, don’t let the devil distract you with vain and fruitless works.
2. Strengthen what is not yet dead.: Whatever you feed grows. Whatever you starve dies. Look into your life carefully and begin to pour nutrients into aspects where you want genuine growth.
3. Strive for perfection before God.: Stop wallowing in the pool of ‘nobody is perfect’. As a believer, youmust strive for perfection daily if you desire to be like your Saviour Jesus Christ.
4. Hold fast to sound doctrines.: As the age draws to an end, more and more false teachers will rise with false doctrines. You must know who you believe and stick to His doctrines religiously.
5. Repent where necessary.: It is pride to say you don’t need to repent when you see that you have erred. Fight against that pride! Go humbly to God and tender your case as it is. He is a good God, He will always forgive but He resists the proud.
“Now I feel different. I see what I need to do.” I could barely lift my head.
“Don’t beat yourself up Mr. Sardis, what I say to one I say to all. But have this two more warnings before you go.”
I listened with rapt attention knowing my very breath depends on His words.
First, If therefore any one will not watch, I will come on him as a thief, and he shall not know what hour I will come.
Second, He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
I stood up knowing if I will be alive to see that last part, my life must be more than a reputation, it must be a reality before God.
The Reputable Man
THE REPUTABLE MAN