For most people, the commonest first statement at the clock of 12 midnight on January first every year is “Happy New Year”. However, the happiness is relatively short-termed. People have varieties of reasons for being happy at the beginning of the new year. Some are happy because they made it into the new year despite the challenges and terrible experiences of the past year. Others are happy because it is a new dawn. Whatever the reason for the happiness, it is mostly the desire of people that they would remain happy all through the year.
Nevertheless, the reality of human existence seems to make being happy all through the year a difficulty expectation. How then could we secure our happiness?
To answer this question, join me as we read the New Revised Standard Version of the book of Psalms 1: 1 1 Happy are those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or take the path that sinners tread, or sit in the seat of scoffers. The scripture here highlighted the secret of happiness.
The Easy to Read Version interpreted happiness as God’s blessing. This implies that happiness comes to us as a blessing from God.
How then can we have this God’s blessing all through the year?
Let us read Psalms 1: 1-3 ( Easy to Read Version) Great blessings belong to those who don’t listen to evil advice, who don’t live like sinners, and who don’t join those who make fun of God.2 Instead, they love the Lord’s teachings and think about them day and night.3 So they grow strong, like a tree planted by a stream— a tree that produces fruit when it should and has leaves that never fall. Everything they do is successful.
Can you see that our question was just answered from that scripture? Let me show you. We can enjoy God’s blessing and remain happy if we would do the following:
1. Do not listen to evil advice. Evil advice is any advice that is contrary to what God commands in the Bible even when it seems to be the most rational and reasonable one.
2. Do not live like the sinners. The sinners here are those who refuse to follow the way of God and choose to disobey God’s commandments. Don’t try to copy them or follow their footsteps.
3. Do not join those who make fun of God. Some people blame God for everything and even make fun of God’s followers during challenging time, do not join them. Do not mock God for God cannot be mock.
4. Love the Lord’s teaching. It is important to occupy your mind with the teachings of Jesus this year through reading the word of God and listening to messages of God’s servants.
5. Think about God’s word day and night-Meditating on the word of God makes you apply them to your life endeavors. On our platform, we would equip you with God’s word every week and as you think about them you would get the following results:
i) You would grow strong– God’s word would make you strong like a tree planted by a stream.
ii) You would be fruitful– God’s word would make you produce fruit at the right season and you would have no loss.
iii) You would be successful– God’s word would give you success in all ramifications. That success is called prosperity.
Therefore, we can be assured of all round happiness through abiding by the above principles. My prayers for you is that you would receive grace to do all of them and remain happy all though the year. Happy New Year!